Saturday, February 6, 2010

What I will do if I am in a situation likes Carlos was facing in the video? I come from Asia, my behavioral patterns are similar to Carlos has to some extent. Trying to convince my own boss that I’m good for the job is something that I prefer not to do. I remembered how horrify I was not knowing what outcome is going to be; whether I will get fired, get promoted or be stalled in my career. I’ve begun to develop a thick skin after having done so many times now.

In the Video, Carlos’ boss would not listen and try to understand where Carlos was coming from. He tried to argue and point out all the wrong things he could think of to convince Carlos that he was not ready for the task. In a class discussion we agreed that Carlos would give up and quit. Though, if I were him I would not necessary quit the job. I would go back to my desk/cubicle and think of new approach to talk to my boss. Since all he cares was number, I say let’s give him numbers. I would counter what he has to say about the unfavorable ratio with positive-interrelated ratio. I always believe that if the ratio is bad or unfavorable, it does not indicate poor performance. There are at least two factors that make up the ratio, which means that for the same number that negatively affect the ratio can yield a positive affect on another ratio. For instance, a profit margin is low because an increase of cost of good sold outpaced an increase in sale even though the sale is still growing. In this case, I would bring other ratio to counter that such as Asset turnover. This number will be much higher/ favorable, assuming that the only cost that increases is variable cost. To that end, I would say Carlos should work with what is working. If the boss wants to see and discuss only numbers, let’s give him just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment