Thursday, February 4, 2010

February 2, 2010

Today's video on Managerial Code-Switching helped me in precisely understanding the different communication patterns/styles that exist in a multicultural environment. I could acknowledge that most of the misconceptions/misunderstandings that happen due to such contrasting behavioral patterns can have great impact at work. I think I am little confident now that,given a situation, I can perceive what is not visible and interpret patterns and the interaction among cues in a better way.

When I was working as a Software Developer with Verizon in India we, as a team, faced many such challenges while communicating with on shore teams. I wasn't exposed to US culture at that time and it caused difficulty in making them understand the feasibility of certain development applications that our team was working on.  Our manager had to focus on deadlines and hence couldn't help us much with decoding the expectations of onshore team.Although we resolved the issues in our own ways it would have been great if I was aware of these concepts earlier.It would have made my life at work more simple.

The Ball game assisted in understanding how team strategies can work wonders when approached with confidence and motivated by a good leader. The article on "Spark Innovation through Empathic Design" identified the positive payoff any product company can achieve by just observing customer needs. It can sometimes help in damage control when applied thoughtfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment