Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Carlos's dilemma

Watching George and Carlos in the video made me think, it's easy to see the cultural differences when they are portrayed to such extremes. I don't think it's always so easy to understand and notice the culture differences in daily interactions. I believe the point of the video was to make you aware of how to be more cognizant of others and their actions. We can't expect all people's behaviors to mirror Carlos's or George's, but we can bring more awareness to our interactions with others.
It was interesting to discuss the characteristics of global leaders and see how I compare. I'm looking forward to taking the GCI survey.

2 comments:

  1. Now that we are aware of the cultural differences leading to sub-optimal communication, I will be more sensitive while analyzing any communication failures related while dealing with my overseas colleagues at work. Yes, the video took it to extreme, but it also made the point clear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree, the cultural differences in the work place, or in our everyday settings, tend to be bit more subtle causing for heightened sensitivity on our part. As the Bay Area becomes more and more "global" in population, the skills Joyce introduced to us last night will be crucial to employ on a daily basis. Also, the GCI will rock your awareness!

    ReplyDelete