Wednesday, February 3, 2010

"Special" GCI Blog

As soon as I began answering the questions on page 1 of 10 pages, I quickly realized I needed to complete the Global Competencies Inventory ("GCI") assessment in a quiet and interruption free setting. The questions take thoughtfulness and mindful responses are crucial for the most accurate story about your global sensitivities.

There are 17 combined dimensions from which your overall global competency index is derived. Overall my scores seemed valid and accurately painted a picture of my predispositions in intercultural settings. There were a few areas of surprise namely Relationship Management; Self-Awareness. Relationship Management, Relationship Interest, Emotional Sensitivity and Social Flexibility were scored High, yet Self-Awareness was simply Moderate. This was surprising because, of course, I think I am aware of myself, my values, beliefs, limitations and evidently, I need to be more cognisant of such. I always say I have no regrets because each and every experience, good and bad, have brought me to be the person I am in this very moment. So you can imagine my surprise when I read that I may not realize the extent to which my past experiences have shaped me as a person. Now, I am sure, should I begin working on becoming more self-aware, my professional development could only benefit, making me ultimately more effective in my work.

If you have not taken the GCI assessment, find a quiet hour for you alone, and do so. One can never have too many tools to assist with the building of their self-awareness muscles...


1 comment:

  1. GCI definitely caused me to look more at myself, thoughts, behaviors, and approach to different situations and people. I was surprised with my cosmopolitan score, however it's true that I do need to work on proactively learning about other cultures. Like you said - there's always room to grow!

    ReplyDelete