Tuesday, February 2, 2010

My first class - in every sense

I am excited about penning down my thoughts on my first MBA class. As I entered the BUS 297 class on 26th January, I was filled with anticipation and excitement. This was my first ever class every sense - my first class in a foreign soil as well ass my first course in MBA. Needless to say the fact that I am finally pursuing my dream of doing MBA, kept my adrenaline pumping. Once I entered the class, I was further happy to see the mix of people that I was going to study with - I mean this is what I want to do MBA for, meet up people from various backgrounds and learn a lot from their experiences besides learning from the professors.

Once the class started however, I realized I had a lot of disadvantages. For one, most of them are already halfway into the course or on the verge of completing it and hence I had no clue what the class was talking about when they used the terms - blackboard, greensheet etc. The second biggest shock was when I realised we had to debate on Globalization within 20 minutes. That task seemed to be impossible for me considering the fact that I only know the basic meaning of the word and its general implications. Only later did I realize that it was an easy feat, had I learnt the material which was posted on the "Blackboard". Nevertheless it was still interesting to see so many opinions from people who are actually opposed to the topic they are debating on. This really gives new meaning to "putting yourself in the other person's shoes". So even though some of my enthusiasm was dampened, I still was able to learn a couple of valuable points at the end of the class.

1 comment:

  1. Bhavani, welcome aboard. Once you overcome the overwhelming feeling, the you will start enjoying the program. Pleasure to have you as a classmate and hear your perpective.

    ReplyDelete