Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Global Competency Index (GCI) results – predictable, not realistic test

I think the questions are too easily predictable, obvious, and most likely have inaccurate results. I don’t know if anyone here thinks like me (I am sure there are), but I don’t want to be off the chart, so honestly I was kind of untrueful to myself when I answered the questions. I put myself in the perspective of an effective global leader, not saying that I am or could be. As a result, I scored pretty bad on “self-identity’ and “self-confidence”, and I think that is the only true profile of me. I am so confused. Besides, when I was a tour guide for a foreign adoption agency, and I realized that in reality, when in a foreign country, most travelers just want to get their work done and leave to go home. They usually distance themselves from the locals and are hardly willing to change their values or beliefs at all. It's always easier to say than do it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Thu,
    The honesty is noted and appreciated. As with any self assessment how honest or "ideal" you present yourself is up to you. I don't think the goal is to score well or score poorly but to score honestly. Also, not everyone in this world is apt to be multi-cultural or global in nature. I know some people that literally live about 500 feet from where they grew up and have not changed very much since the day I met them. I don't think this makes them bad people (like your travelers) but does make them less open to cultural diversity. I know a couple of people who live a multi-cultural life through my experiences & travels. I am Ok with that =)

    ReplyDelete