Friday, January 29, 2010

We are the World...

After the action packed class with the intriguing debate, it was clear that we are here not only to hear but also to be heard. So, let our hearts out, and talk. I think this is a great opportunity to express one's thoughts, opinion and share views. This can be an environment where nobody is judged but understood. I really look forward to get to know all of my classmates.

I guess I am the only one from Bangladesh in the class. I would like to share a story of a Bangladeshi rural woman who's life had been changed because of the Global wave that had swept across the nation in the mid 90's. She was a 23 year old women with no education, living in a poverty driven rural area. After 3 years of marriage her husband left her and she had nowhere to go. Beaten by the harsh reality this woman thought of taking her own life when she was saved by a very kind person named, Bibi Russel. She gave her shelter and a Cell Phone. This Phone changed her life. She started a to work as a liaison between the village weavers and the Fashion Houses in the city. Initially she worked under Bibi and after a year she opened her own little company. This may seem a bit dramatic but this is how many lives in Bangladesh has been changed. But there is also darkness under the lamp. Globalization did broadened the gap between rich and poor.

Actually globalization is a process and we need to understand its virtues as well as it's vices. We sure are in a desperate need of Great Global Leaders. Hope there will be somebody from this class to lead the way.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Arifa,

    It is very touching story. I can certainly see how globalization has a positive effect on individual lives like the lady in your story.

    Speaking of positive impact, there is another side of the argument. In the debate, I recalled some of the debaters mentioned globalization widening income inequality.That is why I agree that there is a need for effective global leadership.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I now see that we both thought of the same title for the first blogs. It must be so obvious the countries we cover in our class and the richness that will come from such a diverse group. I look forward to the experience and awareness to come.

    ReplyDelete