Saturday, January 30, 2010

Something needs to be said

Playing cards where no talk is allowed is definitely not easy. Besides the challenge I had playing cards not knowing the exact rules, I had so much fun watching hand gesturing, mouth moving and eyebrow shrugging from my teammates. At the end, it’s time to vent. What I take home is that everyone has different interpretation of things, deal with frustration and ambiguity. Because we were not allowed to communicate what we understand or what we think how the cards should be dealt, it changed the dynamic of the game. I could see that to make the best out of the situation was to compromise. Someone had to either submit to the rule of the current table or the existing players embraced the new rule that was imposed by the new comers. No table really had a win-win relation (synergy communication). To that end, I think without verbal communication it will be almost impossible to be as effective as the team would want it to be.

4 comments:

  1. Not allowed to speak while playing the card game is analogous to ignoring the body language while communicating in a team meeting at work. Thus paying attention to the body language is extremely critical in work life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me the take away was NOT to assume anything when you are in a new environment (in this case card table). The primary source of my trouble was i assumed the same ruled would carry forward. Since verbal communication was not allowed it complicated the discovery process. The real worl life lesson is do your homework before going into new environemnt and it is advisable to confirm all your assumptions and not to take anything for granted. This should lessen any unpleasantness and increase the chances of success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Sri. Going into a situation with an open mind is the best method in dealing with new people and environments. When you go in with assumptions it's hard to turn your thought process around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Open mindedness is key. I guess the other thing I was sorting out was winning was really not my concern. It was a really an interesting "people watching" experience. Alliances and leadership were naturally occurring, and when I attempted to challenge the rules I was dismissed. I wonder how many times I have been guilty of similar behavior.

    ReplyDelete