Wednesday, January 27, 2010

First class take-aways

I felt the debate was the most intriguing part of the first class. The debate made you look at the argument from the other point of view which I've learned to develop over the years but I always need more practice. It's very difficult to take a step back and try to see where the opposition is coming from. Once I'm able to do this, I'm able to work better with people and come to a compromise on the issue at hand. It's so difficult to have a complete understanding of the person's point of view that it take a lot of practice to let down your defensive guard and try to comprehend their culture and background. I believe I've come a long way, but I know I have more to go. Always understanding the opposition's view is a goal I have in this course as I know this is necessary to move on in my career.

7 comments:

  1. I agree that it's hard to understand from the other person's point of view. Issues exchanged over email is a small, everyday example. As soon as I see an email from a fellow colleague saying that their records are wrong, for instance, I want to write back immediately. I've learned that it's always best to take a step back (and breathe) before responding. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking at the class it was virtualy impossible not to receive feedback from a different cultural perspective. I think if we all just allow the process to run the intended course we will all have a great time learning from each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For a course based on Global Thoughts I think our class is a great mix. We can share our experiences and views to get a better understanding of ourselves. And your observation about taking a step back is really important in all phases of our lives. The world would be better place if we can do that more often.

    -Arifa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree.On a scale of 1 to 10 I am 5 on understanding things from others point of view.But looking at the structure of the class and list of class activities I am sure I am going to learn a lot in this class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is easier to understanding some one's viewpoints if we try to spend some time to know about the person. That is why email and virtual communications have led to so many issues and misunderstanding. The world has become smaller and more interconnected, yet we still need more interaction, education to learn more about others around us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said, Bethie. Practice, practice and more practice to be effective communicator. I also agree about your comment about ability to understand the opposite perspective. I believe that to be the essential first step to make convincing argument and to gain followership. And followership makes you natural leader.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i agree its a tough job but it takes alot of practice and efforts to be an effective communicator. But its all the mistakes that will help you realize your shortcomings

    ReplyDelete