Thursday, January 28, 2010

1st day of global leadership

I really enjoyed the first day of the class. It was a different experience. Mostly first day of any class is where the professor talks about introduction of the course, what will be covered, whats expected out of the course and so on...I liked it when we were divided into groups and were asked to give our inputs and expectations. I think that was a great way to start the class where we can share what we expect out of the course and what our goals are for the class.
The presentation on the SHIFT magazine was also very interesting.Even though it was introduction to our assignment, it was very interesting to know what is going on in the world around us; like I didn't know that HP had a laser printer where the content of the magazine could be customized while printing.It's a great step forward in the media industry.
The most challenging activity for me, and I am sure for many others was the debate.When we were asked to pick a side for pro or con globalization, I had not only picked up a side but already started thinking about points for the debate. So we had to argue for the opposite point of view, it was very difficult for me to stop and think from a totally opposite perspective.I have faced this challenge many a times, where it is difficult for me to understand and see other people's perspective or point of view specially if it's completely opposite. This excercise was great learning experience.I believe that globalization is here to stay and I am looking for forward to a great learning experience in this class. I enjoyed meeting so many new people and I look forward to working with them.

-Jalpa

7 comments:

  1. I could not agree with you more, Jalpa about the grouping thing for the class, except for the fact that no one seems to want me in the group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also thought it was pretty cool that HP can print the subscriber's name on the front cover. What a way to get a CEO's undivided attention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fellow on campus students, thanks for joining us at off campus. You definitely are adding diversity to the class, diversity of background, experience, thought process etc.

    SHIFT magazine is reinforcing the theory that every big revolution starts as a small initiate by limited group of passionate champions. Tom and Matt are these passionate champions who, via SHIFT magazine, are reaching out to tech CEOs to address the grass root issues in our back yard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree i am also very excited about the Shift magazine assignment. Love to apply some art and creativity. I was also surprised at the wonderful and simple innovations that people made that made such a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes...I think it was a brilliant idea from the SHIFT magazine group. People tend to be drawn to their names more than anything. And I also was fascinated by the edgy look of the magazine. It is well composed with thought provoking topics.

    The debate was fun and refreshing. This exercise also proved that as rational human beings, we are able to think from either sides of the table. Sometimes we just don't know that, sometimes we refuse and sometimes we are just stubborn. I hope we will continue to learn something like this each and every day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As per the posts and comments it seems all of us have really enjoyed and learned from the debate. It was challenging to come up with points that go against what you belief and even more so to convince the others. I'm looking forward to more of such activities in class.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The debate was a lot of fun! I thought it was interesting that the sides had to change their position. Amazing how the world looks through another person;s glasses.

    ReplyDelete