Thursday, January 28, 2010

The convergence of cultural clashes - 012610

One of so many things I am surprised and really like about American cultures that I got a chance to expose in the class is that how confident, open, competitive, and aggressive, all in a good way, people in my class are. I was raised in a completely different culture perspective to embrace silence, humbleness, and observation so as to praise others and keep myself a low profile. Of course, it is not a first time I attend a class in the U.S., but something is very special about this class where we are encouraged to express our opinion, argue and convince people to believe in it. I am neutral about globalization as I believe there are advantages that need to be promoted and disadvantages that we have to work on to mitigate the bad effects of globalization, and the process of the world globalization is out of one’s control. What we need to do is to accept it as a chance to evolve and survive, especially if one has to work in a world-wide business environment like I do everyday.

8 comments:

  1. Thu - I already learned more about you in your blog: your culture and experiences! Thank you for being so transparent and honest. I'm excited to get to know you better and am glad we will be working together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your personal experience regarding cultural differences leading to behavioral differences. We, as a Global Leadership students, definitely need to pay attention to this area. In my previous elective on Japanese Marketing, we discussed the criticality of understanding cultural differences in business environment. In fact, in Japanese Business world, the meeting doesn't start until both parties get to know each other in a social / informal setting. One need to get comfortable with silence in Japanese Business meeting. Thanks again for bringing this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I agree with you i too face this dilemma many a times where both the cultures differ. But i guess if you have already stepped out of your comfort zone then you have to adapt yourself to the environment and change your mindset.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure we all have so many things to learn, adopt and share with each other. MBA at SJSU is such a great opportunity for all of us to learn so many things other than just the course material :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thu, I also faced similar situations where it is really tough make proper connection. Sometimes I fall into the trap with my own judgmental flaws and sometimes I am the victim. But nonetheless I take it as a learning experience.

    We are so fortunate to be living in silicon valley where a wide range of cultures converge and you never feel the one "odd" foreigner feeling standing in a queue in a grocery store. But we have to face the challenge of coping with different cultures and co-exist in harmony. I am sure this class will help us to mitigate some of the obstacles we face in this multicultural arena.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The mix of cultures that we have in this class is surely going to make this learning experience all the more worth while. Learning about different cultures is always exciting and I really hope that all our class mates are open and willing to inform us about their cultures

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree with your thoughts on multicultural differences that we experience in our class and workplace. The exposure that we get by interacting with people from different cultures/backgrounds would definitely improve our tolerance for diversity.Viewing a problem from different perspectives comes easily in a multicultural population. Hope we all experience and appreciate the cultural differences in our future sessions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Today's (1/31) American Vs X-ian simulation was an eye opener for me. I approached the simulation with a set of assumptions (aka baggage) like every question would generate an answer and making eye contact in general is advisable. But this simulation completely torpedoed these generally accepted premises. I will remember this simulation and the lessons learnt from it for a long time.

    ReplyDelete